For all incidents involving visitors, a prompt accident investigation is necessary. By reporting incidents involving visitors to the Office of Risk Management, you enable us to secure as much information as possible while the details are still fresh. Reporting also provides the Office of Risk Management with the means to identify witnesses, photograph the accident scene, and secure any movable property that is alleged to have contributed to an accident. In cases involving serious injury, you must contact Risk Management immediately. “Serious injury” is one in which a person is admitted to the hospital or taken from the scene by ambulance.
It is also important to address any immediate safety concerns by contacting Environmental Health & Safety or Facilities Services personnel to prevent future accidents.
Please have one of the following forms sent to Risk Management:
Visitor Self-Reporting Form (preferred)
- Staff will provide the Visitor Self-Reporting Form to the injured individual
- The injured individual or his/her family member, friend, or other companion can complete the form. No University of Chicago Medicine or University staff will complete the form, nor write information on the form for the injured individual
- The original form should be emailed to the Office of Risk Management
Visitor Incident Reporting Form (acceptable if Self-Reporting form not obtained)
- Staff should complete the Visitor Incident Reporting Form with as much information as is known.
- The original form should be emailed to the Office of Risk Management so that an investigation can begin.
Injuries sustained by employees in the course of their employment may be covered under workers' compensation insurance. Please refer to Human Resource Services Benefits web page for more information about reporting employee injuries.