Professional Liability Insurance


Professional Liability insurance might apply when University faculty, students, or staff are performing services for other third parties, typically for a fee. When the other party is relying on this service as an input, errors could result in a claim being made back against you and the University. Examples of these types of services include consulting, legal work, and software development. Often, your agreement or contract with the other party will require that you provide proof of professional liability insurance.

If you are providing services that would qualify as a professional service, please contact the Office of Risk Management to determine what insurance solutions might be appropriate. The University cannot provide professional liability insurance unless the exposure is known and disclosed to insurance providers.

Medical Malpractice

Information on professional liability for medical services can be found on the University of Chicago Medicine's intranet.

For requests for loss information please contact the Medical Center via email to: